Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Small Town Girl

Hello! My name is Kimberly Conner and I am part of the "herd" of freshmen on The Farm this year. I was born in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania but I actually grew up in a tiny rural town in western Kentucky. I applied to Stanford purely on a desperate hope; you can imagine my surprise when the dream became reality! Despite my obvious excitement, it was a big step for me to leave the safety and relative security of my hometown to begin my college education here at Stanford. Initially, the culture shock was a tad bit overwhelming, but I quickly came to embrace the plethora of cultures, beliefs, and backgrounds represented on campus. Now it's hard for me to imagine life any other way!
Since I was very young, I had a strong interest in the medical field. I was one of those children that would run around the house with their little plastic "doctor" kit and harass anyone they happened to bump into. As I matured, I began to realize that medicine appealed to me both because of the inherent personal challenge of the field and also the opportunity to help other people. This passion continues to be a driving force in my life as I make academic decisions and plan my future. I joined the Stanford Premedical Association because I desired to both give and receive guidance regarding my own journey toward medicine. I have very high hopes for the future of SPA and for my own future!

No comments: